Saturday, January 22, 2011

Ghosts, Demons, vampires, fae, & mermaids

Greetings!

Nothing new to report. Still working on my unnamed project. Currently at 57K and my goal is 80K. My writing has slowed down, but not because I'm having difficulties. No, it's because I can't seem to be able to pry my nose out of books lately. In the last fourteen days I've read:

Secondhand Spirits by Juliet Blackwell
Cast-off Coven by Juliet Blackwell
Flaherty's Crossing by Kaylin McFarren
At Grave's End by Jeaniene Frost
The Mermaid's Mirror by LK Madigan

And now I'm reading Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Obviously I'm not getting much writing done.... But hey, I'm really enjoying reading books.
Secondhand Spirits and Cast-off Coven are part of the Witchcraft Mystery series. Lily Ivory is an earth witch that decides to settle in San Fransisco and open a vintage clothing store. She solves crimes using her "witchy" ways, fighting demons and helping ghosts. I absolutely loved these books and looking forward to reading the third book which comes out this summer, Hemlines and Hexs.
Flaherty's Crossing was fantastic heartwarming story about forgiveness and love, see my previous post.
At Grave's End is part of the Night Huntress Series. Cat is a badass rouge vampire huntress who happens to be half human and half vampire. She also is married to Bones, a powerful vampire that could come visit me any night as far as I'm concerned. The book is packed with action, romance, and witty humor. This is the third book in the series and the first that I've read of them. Don't recommend doing that, I just got too impatient waiting for the first two to become available to pick-up from the library. Regardless of sequence, still a great read.

The Mermaid's Mirror is a YA novel written by a local to Portland author. I found this book from a blog link from one of the authors that I follow blog. LK Madigan is currently battling stage IV pancreatic cancer. I read her last post and I was brought to tears. Then I found out she's from Portland and I had to read her work. Mermaid's Mirror is a sweet story about a girl that discovers she's part mer. It's based in California just south of San Fransisco.

Wicked Lovely, is about wicked little faeries that lurk unseen by humans and cause all sorts of mischief and mayhem. So far I've been mesmerized.

As you can see, I'm reading a variety of books these days. Reading is one of the keys to being able to write a readable book. It's not just pleasure reading, which it is very pleasurable, but there also is a purpose. Why not have fun while learning, right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment