Saturday, January 1, 2011

1-1-11

That's a lot of ones and according to numerologists all the ones mean something important. Fortunately I'm not a numerologist and don't really care. But it looks cool and since this is the first day of the year, I figured I should write my first blog post on 1-1-11.
I'm actually really excited about 2011. It's already to a good start as a few hours ago, I rang in 2011 with confetti, balloons, and Pink Martini. New Year's Resolutions have never appealed to me so I gave up on them years ago. I do however have areas of focus that I give special effort towards. Not necessarily goals, but more like intentions.

Anyways, enough of New Year's babble. Let's talk about writing.

Last post I mentioned that I was at 16K words and would like to be at 25K by New Years, but was hoping to reach 30K. Well guess what? As of last night I'm sitting at 36+K.

I AM OVER THE MOON AND BEYOND THE SUN!!!!!!

Never in my short writing "career" have I written so much in such a short period of time. It did help that I was on vacation all of last week, although a couple of days of it I was in Seattle for the Harry Potter exhibit. That was one of the coolest things I've done, by-the-way.

But my secret is that I'm working on a new project. This project has been percolating in the recesses of my mind since two years ago when I decided there a small possibility that I might be a writer. Then I didn't have the skill or knowledge how to put together a story, let alone a book. So I let it sit and sit till a little over two weeks ago when it could no longer sit. It demanded to be written or my sanity was up for ransom.

"Fine!" I grumbled in defeat and began to write the first chapter. The first day I had written two. Second day another two. And so on and so forth. Grant it this is the first draft. I will be spending just as many hours rewriting and revising.

My other secret is that when I started to write this story, I had a VERY clear vision of the plot. I didn't have to stop and think, "Well what is going to happen next?" I already knew. It makes a world of difference! I haven't written any outlines or many notes in the writing notepad I carry around, because it's already there. This has never happened before and I'm really loving it. It has taken my writing experience to a new level.

For those of you wondering what I'm writing about now, my secret project will remain secret till it's finished. But I will mention that it is a new genre that I'm exploring and there are no vampires.

My goal is to finish the rough draft by the end of January. I'm over a third there.

So with that, I wish you all an inspiring year filled with peace, love and happiness. I leave you with a couple of pictures from our Seattle trip. Butterfly exhibit at the Pacific Science Center and my new favorite attraction, the Space Needle.







Cheers, Melania

No comments:

Post a Comment