Sunday, July 15, 2012

3rd Sunday Sweet: The Dark Divine

I'm going to keep this post short because I actually have a ton of writing to do today. However, I did want to share with you my review of Bree Despain's The Dark Divine.
I first heard of Bree during one of Farland's Author Advisory call's where Robin Weeks interviewed "the Six." Click here to listen to that interview.
I started following her and Brodi Ashton on Twitter. In March of this year Bree tweeted that her first two books: The Dark Divine and The Lost Saint were on sale for .99 on Kindle. Me, being the bargain fiend that I am, jumped right on it. I was a little skeptical whether I would like the story or not because it's about a pastor's daughter and family. Yawn. I thought, but hey .99 isn't a great loss and I have a pretty open mind even though religion in fiction tends to irritate me (for reasons I won't go into, this is a blog about writing and fiction, not about personal religious preferences). But take a look at that cover. SEXY! Wouldn't you want to read that? Or at least want to buy that color of nail polish?
So I started reading the first book, Dark Divine, and the more read the more I was drawn into the story. Not only were the characters compelling multidimensional people I wanted to know more about, but I also was intrigued by the mythos Bree created. Her fresh take on the classic werewolf was a nice change. The plot was evenly paced and kept me wanting to read more.
Grace Divine's journey is beautifully portrayed as is Daniel's, the boy next door. The story is wonderfully written and to my surprise I really enjoyed it and I look forward to reading the rest of the series. (FIRST, I need to finish my book, 'cause RWA is in less than two weeks. SQUEAL). From a writer's perspective, I think this book is a perfect example of a well crafted YA novel with the right amount of romance, suspense, and adventure sprinkled throughout.
Check it out for yourself by clicking here. And if you are not following Bree on Twitter, you should do that too. :)
Thanks again for stopping by. *closes internet, puts headphones on, cranks Enigma, and types away*

2 comments: