Friday, July 13, 2012

Friday Fictioneers: Omen



I'm back! Sorry for missing out last week on the fun, but I did make progress on my WIP. 15K lef to go. Yippee!

This week's fiction was inspired by Robert Jordan's Eye of the World. Thank you Madison Woods for providing this opportunity and flash fiction photo prompt. Her story is available here.

***
Stark grey morning light cast an unsettling feeling over the bare branches of the forest. Vibrant foliage should have covered them by now, but not so much as a bud could be seen. Where carpets of luscious grass should be thriving brown remains of last summer’s growth decayed. Goddess, Summer Solstice was nearly upon us, but renewal of life seemed to have abandoned Brumblethorn. That is until a black crow landed at the top of a nearby tree.  I tucked the thread-bare cloak around my shoulders in attempt to stave off the lingering remnants of winter and the bleak omen.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Melania,
    You used vivid description to ricly set the scene, and make me feel the starkness. Would like to read on and find out what's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you got the feeling I was trying to portray.

      Delete
  2. Very descriptive...would be good to see where you are going...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I know you said this is based on the work of Robert Jordan, but I can't help thinking your description seems to be pretty accurate for all the farmland around here that's feeling the drought. Very nice job with this piece! Also congrats on making progress on your WIP. I wish I could sit down and focus on mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess, I hope you get some rain in your area.

      Delete
  4. nicely done, your words were rich and painted a fine image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. It drew me in and made me want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a scene of desolation, beautifully set.

    http://castelsarrasin.wordpress.com/2012/07/13/every-cloud-friday-fictioneers-july-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful piece of descriptive nature writing, interrupted by the arrival of a new life form, very atmospheric. Thanks for your comment on mine, really enjoying reading all the such different takes on one image.

    http://wp.me/s1nUrn-buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very vivid description of dark and dreary place.

    http://logo-ligi.com/2012/07/12/soliloquy-of-a-disgruntled-raven/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your story. Loved it! Very original.

      Delete