Sunday, December 2, 2012

1st Sunday Snippet: Lightening

Happy December! I'm trying to get lots of writing done this month so will be keeping my posts short & sweet. Today's snippet is from my YA WIP about a girl who discovers she can control the weather. In this scene she's interrupted three bullies from picking on a helpless girl.

***



My lips curled into a smile. I didn’t control the elements, but weird stuff tended to happen around me, especially when I got pissed. He didn’t need to know that though. Let him believe whatever would make him afraid. Only his eyes hardened and he didn’t even budge or look worried unlike his buddies who appeared they would wet themselves at any moment. 

“You’re a goddamn witch,” he smiled back, “I could use one of you on my team.” He stepped  forward with pure pleasure in his eyes.

Oh, crap. That wasn’t the reaction I was going for. If only I could make a bolt of lightning strike the ground between his feet. I hadn’t even completed my thought when a flash of light ignited the space between us. The sheer force of the energy pushed me back a couple of steps as the ground rattled under my boots.

When my eyes readjusted I saw a black crater about a foot diameter inches from his spanking brand new sneakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment