Sunday, September 30, 2012

1st Sunday Snippets: "I married her"


Mitzu & Earl


Today’s snippet comes from my contemporary adult Christmas novella (WIP). Derek & Meredith are on the tail end of their divorce. She’s moved out of the house. To help her heal her heart she decided to volunteer at the local civic theater as a make-up artist—something she used to love to do, but has forgotten over the years as life seemed to carry her in a different direction. While she’s taking inventory of the make-up and wardrobe room, in walks Derek. He’s accepted the lead role of the Christmas play they are putting on in a couple of months. He hasn’t done theater since college. This is the first time they’ve seen each other in a month.
***
“This isn’t a game.” She stepped around him, but he caught her arm and whirled her around to face him.
“You’re the one who always runs away from things, but this time, I’m not going to let you use me as an excuse.” He paused for a moment as his hand warmed from the heat of her flesh only separated by the thin cashmere sweater. “I will leave.”
“Who’s leaving?” A shrill voice came from the door. Both of them turn to find Silva, the theatre director, standing in the open doorway.
“I-.” Meredith began, but Derek cut her off.
“No, I’m going to decline my role. I’m sorry. Something came up.”
“Excuse me?” Silva put her fists on her hips. Her tight bun and cat-rimmed rhinestone encrusted glasses reminded him of his second grade teacher. “You practically spent the last hour begging me for the part and now you want to leave? I don’t think so. Unless there’s family dying, no.”
He noticed Meredith take a jarred gulp. He was about to say something, when Silva continued. “And do you two know each other? You both seem awfully cozy.”
At this Meredith took a step back just out of his reach. “Yeah, unfortunately. I’m sorry I’m going to leave know. If you can’t find someone to replace me I’ll help out, but I can’t do this.” She hurried out of the room as if a smoke bomb had gone off. She nearly knocked over the petite director in her rush to exit. 
As Meredith’s footsteps faded down the hallway, Silvia turned to Derek and narrowed her eyes. “What did you do to piss her off?”
He shrugged. “I married her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment