Sunday, October 16, 2011

3rd Sunday Sweets

Welcome to 3rd Sunday Sweets. Today I'm going to review a book I recently "read." Why the quotations? Well, I read a lot but there are so many books out there that I love and want to read. It comes down to time. Luckily my day job is one where I can listen to audio books. So I download them from the Multnomah County Library into my MP3 player. Needless to say my days are much more enjoyable.

Photo courtesy of Jeaniene Frost Facebook Page
This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost is probably my favorite of all five Night Huntress series. First of all, Jeaniene has the most fascinating imagination laced with impeccably timed humor.


I first discovered Frost in the anthology Death's Excellent Vacation. I instantly fell in love with Cat and Bones, the heroine and hero of her series. I went to the library and put all the books on hold. Of course, book 3 and 4 were ready to check out before the first two. I read them anyway. There is so much action and suspense in these novels at times I have to set the book down and grab a glass of wine to calm my nerves.


This Side of the Grave takes place many months after Cat has been fully transformed into a vampire. Of course her list of oddities or anomalies continue even after the "grave." Because of this the ancient ghoul, Apollyon, begins rallying the troupes against the vampires using Cat as the target. War threatens to break out between the undead species and Cat is stuck right smack in the middle of it all. Between blood pumping fights, scalding love scenes, emotional tragic moments and fantastic humorous one-liners from Bones, This Side of the Grave delivers on all levels.


The reason this book is my favorite of the series is Vlad Tepes. Of course! He has a larger roll in this book and my favorite quote is:


"'What was that?' I gasped. 'Premature inflamulation.' He replied. 'Happens sometimes. Very embarrassing. Don't like to talk about it.'"


There are so many others. Between crying, laughing, fanning myself, and gritting my teeth the book entertained me in all possible ways. Thank you, Jeaniene for writing such a wonderful work of fiction to make this girl's day.


One Grave at a Time, Book 6 is out now and I'm looking forward to "reading."  Right now I have zero room in my condo for anymore books. So I'm waiting to buy a Kindle this winter before I purchase the whole series plus the spin-off books in e-book format. Till then, the library is my very best friend.  Click on the titles of this post to purchase your very own copies.



No comments:

Post a Comment