Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Flying horses, teens, and other general weirdness

 


photo courtesy of flash-screen.com


Isn't he beautiful? I give you a moment to ogle and swoon.




*whistles*



*taps finger*



*stares at ceiling*



Okay, so now that you've had a chance to get a good look at the magical creature and revisit your childhood fantasies, let me enlighten you on the reason for his presence.

You see, for the last six months I have done nothing but live and breath vampires. I finished The Vampire Novelist, ran it through several edits, rewrote the first five chapters a gazillion times, submitted it to the requesting agents and editors from the Spring Intensive, and have received several rejections. One is still pending. Living in the dark world has been an adventure filled with blood and tears. It's not over yet. I truly believe in my characters and the story.

BUT, I'm taking a break to write something new and different. Just like last winter when I wrote the contemporary romance, I'm diving into a genre I never expected myself to write in.

Last weekend after coming home from seeing Harry Potter 7 Part 2 (which by-the-way is freaking AWESOME), I fell asleep twirling a new idea. I woke up about 3am and began writing. Today I'm four chapters into a young adult fantasy novel involving a Pegasus and a sixteen year old girl with the "sight."

Six months ago, if you would have asked me if I was interested in writing a YA novel, I would have laughed. Never say never, right? Here's where the weirdness comes in, I'm actually liking writing from a teenager's perspective.

If you know me, you know I've never really related to teens. Even when I was in high school I couldn't stand them. Now, it's not that I don't like teens. Quite the opposite, I LOVE YA novels. Hello! Did you read my last post on Twilight?

I just never expected myself to write in the genre. Yet today I find myself writing about an awkward period in a girl's life. Throw in some quirky supernatural gifts, a portal into the Otherworld, waterfalls, magic, and hot guys,  and we've got ourselves an interesting story.

Her story really is drawing me in and I find myself thinking of her and her flying stallion friend throughout the day wondering what will happen to them next.

And to my vampire-loving friends, I'm not shelving my blood-sucking baby. It's a little break, which will help the heart grow founder and give me fresh eyes to tackle my little fiends. So wish me luck and I leave you with another gorgeous rendition of the object of my inspiration.


Photo courtesy of Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment